Clinical Attire & Uniform Guidelines for All Students
- Navy blue scrub set with embroidered SDSU School of Nursing above breast pocket of shirt. This uniform consists of a drawstring waist unisex pants and v-neck shirt. It is to be purchased through CNSA.
- Picture ID is to be worn when selecting a patient, taking care of a patient, or participating in a nursing school related assignment in the clinical area. The ID is to be visible on the upper portion of the tunic and is to be purchased through CNSA.
- Uniforms are to be clean, not wrinkled, and must be an appropriate fit.
- Solid white shirt worn under the v-neck shirt. Acceptable shirts are turtlenecks, long-sleeved shirts, and T-shirts. Tank or midriff tops are NOT allowed.
- Long-sleeved navy blue cover jacket embroidered with SDSU School of Nursing. This jacket is to be purchased through CNSA.
Community Health and Psychiatric Clinical Experiences
- Unless otherwise instructed, the navy blue uniform cover jacket or a white lab coat must be worn over clean professional conservative street clothes to the assigned agency when performing pre-clinical work such as selecting your patient the day before clinical. Your picture ID badge must be visible. Shoes with open toes are not allowed, and clogs must have a heel strap. Blue jeans, hip-huggers or low pants are not acceptable.
- Street clothes attire as described in the course syllabus or defined by your clinical instructor.
- White shoes of a professional nature are required.
- Shoes must have closed toes and should be clean and polished.
- Clogs must have a strap around the heel.
Hosiery and Socks
- Hose is to be neutral in color.
- Socks are to be white or neutral.
- Mandatory: wristwatch with second hand.
- Optional: wedding band or other ring; rings should be plain; small stones acceptable.
- No visible body or tongue piercing allowed except for pierced ears.
- Maximum number of earrings per ear is two; no dangling or large earrings allowed.
Personal Hygiene and Habits
- Bathing: daily.
- Hair: clean and neat; shoulder length hair pulled back and away from the face.
- Mustaches, sideburns, beards: clean and neatly trimmed; no stubble.
- Natural fingernails: clean and no longer than 1/4 from the tip of the finger; acrylics not permitted.
- Nail polish: clear or pastel in color and not chipped, cracked or peeling;
unpolished nails are recommended.
- Nail jewelry and appliques are not permitted.
- Make-up: subtle, no severe colors, not heavy.
- No gum chewing.
- No smelling like smoke.
- No perfume.
Any student considered unprofessional in appearance will be asked to leave the clinical setting. This will result in an unexcused absence and will affect the student's clinical evaluation.