- DNSc, University of San Diego
- MS in Nursing, SDSU
- MSEd, Duquesne University
- BSEd, Temple University
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- Sigma Theta Tau, International, Gamma Gamma Chapter
Research focus includes exploration of methods and practices to improve patient safety and the provision of patient care.
Dr. Willa Fields is a Professor in the Graduate Nursing Leadership in Health Systems concentration at San Diego State University in San Diego, California. Dr. Fields has a diverse background in clinical nursing, education, research, performance improvement, management, and information systems. Her research area of interest is exploration of methods and practices that improve patient safety and the provision of patient care. Specific investigations include the effects of information technology, evidence-based practice, and evaluation of hospital based performance improvement activities.
From 2000 to 2006 Dr. Fields was the Vice President of Patient Care Systems in the Information Systems Department at Sharp HealthCare in San Diego, California. She had responsibility for the patient care computer systems, including implementation of new core clinical systems that included physician order entry.
- Kent, N., and Fields, W. (in press) Early recognition of sepsis in the emergency department: An evidence based project. Journal of Emergency Nursing.
- Revello, K., and Fields, W. (in press) A performance improvement project to increase nursing compliance with skin assessments in a rehabilitation unit. Rehabilitation Nursing.
- McCoy, T., Fields, W., and Kent, N. (in press) Evidence-based practice protocols to prevent ventilator-acquired pneumonia in the emergency department. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Fields, W., McCullough, S., and Jacoby, J. (in press) The effect of computerized physician order entry on nurses and nursesí work. Journal of Health Information Management.
- Stichler, J., Fields, W., Kim, S., and Brown, C. (2011) Faculty knowledge, attitudes and perceived barriers to teaching evidence-based nursing. Journal of Professional Nursing. 27(2): 92-100.
- Kjonegaard, R., Fields, W., and King, M. (2010) Current practice in airway management: A decriptive evaluation. American Journal of Critical Care. 19(2): 168-173.
- Gonzales, L., Fields, W., and McGinty, J. (2010) Quality Improvement in the Cath Lab: Redesigning Patient Flow for Improved Outcomes. Critical Care Nurse. 30(2): 25-32.
- Conrad, C., Fields, W., McNamara, T., Cone, M., and Atkins, P. (2010) Medication room madness: Calming the Chaos. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 25: 137-144.
- Hyden, R., and Fields, W. (2010) Improving the acute myocardial infarction rapid rule out process.. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 25(4): 313-319.
- Brown, C., Kim, S., Stichler, J., and Fields, W. (2010) Predictors of knowledge, attitudes, use and future use of evidence-based practice among baccalaureate nursing students at two universities.. Nurse Education Today Advance online publication.. : -.
- Snyder, R.A., and Fields, W. (2010) A model for medication safety event detection. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. 22: -.
- Mollon, D., and Fields, W. (2009) Is this the right patient? An educational initiative to improve compliance in the use of two patient identifiers. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 40: 221-227.
- Athwal, P., Fields, W., and Wagnell, E. (2009) Standardization of change of shift report. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 24: 143-147.
- Hiner, J., White, S., and Fields, W. (2009) Infusing Evidence Based Practice into Interdisciplinary Perinatal Patient Care Conferences. Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. 23: 251-257.
- Kim, S., Brown, C., Fields, W., and Stichler, J. (2009) A Controlled Study of EBP-Focused Interactive Teching at Two Nursing Schools. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 65(6): 1218-1227.
- Fields, W., McCullough, S., and Jacoby, J. 2009. The effect of computerized physician order entry on nurses and nurses' work.. 2009 american Medical Informatics Association Fall Symposium. San Francisco, CA.
- Erickson, S., McNamara, T., Balanay, T., and Fields, W. (2008) Clinical nurses find a voice: Formation of nursing practice councils. American Journal of Nursing. 108(8): 76-79.
- Fields, W., Tedeschi, C., Foltz, J., Myers, T., Heaney, K., Bosak, K., Rizos, A., and Snyder, R. (2008) Reducing preventable medication safety events by recognizing renal risk. Clinical Nurse Specialist: A Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice. 22(2): 73-78.
- Fields, W., and Snyder, R. 2008. Impact of a computerized medication medication safety system interface on medication errors. International Forum on Quality and Safety in Health Care 2008. Paris, France.
- Fields, W., and Snyder, R. (2008) Impact of a computerized medication system interface on medication errors [Abstract]. Quality and Safety in Health Care. 17(4): 235-.
- Fields, W., and Snyder, R. 2007. Community hospital CPOE system implementation: The lived experience of multi-disciplinary healthcare team members. 2007 American Medical Informatics Association Fall Symposium. Chicago, Illinois.
- Snyder, R., and Fields, W. 2007. Community hospital physician adoption of a CPOE system: Perceptions of readiness, usefulness, and satisfaction. 2007 American Medical Informatics Association Fall Symposium. Chicago, Illinois.
- Snyder, R., Weston, M., Fields, W., Rizos, A., and Tedeschi, C. (2006) Computerized provider order entry system field research: The impact of contextual factors on study implementation. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 75(10-1: 730-740.
- Snyder, R., and Fields, W. (2006) Measuring hospital readiness for information technology (IT) innovation: A multi-site study of the organizational information technology innovation readiness scale. Journal of Nursing Measurement. 14(1): 45-55.
- Snyder, R., and Fields, W. 2005. Assessing hospital readiness for computerized provider order entry (CPOE) System innovation. 2005 American Medical Informatics Association Fall Symposium. Washington, D.C..
- Rizos, A., Snyder, R., Rothschild, J., Tedeschi, C., and Fields, W. 2005. Multi-method approach for medication safety event detection in community hospitals. 2005 American Medical Informatics Association Fall Symposium. Washington, D.C..
- Snyder, R., Tedeschi, C., and Fields, W. 2004. Medication safety event detection: Methodologies to improve medication practice outcomes. 2004 Sigma Theta Tau 15th International Nursing Research Congress. Dublin, Ireland.
- Miranda, D., Fields, W., and Lund, K. (2001) Lessons learned during 15 years of clinical information system experience. Computers, Informatics, and Nursing. 19(4): 147-151.
- Fields, W., Berntsen, K., Coutts, B., and Kirnon, P. (1997) Four steps to creating quality indicators across sites. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 12(2): 9-13.
- Fields, W., and Glaser, D. (1997) A toolbox of improvement methods. In Improving Quality: A Guide to Effective Programs. Gaithersburg, Maryland: Aspen, -.
- Fields, W. (1995) A model for implementing quality initiatives. Seminars for Nurse Managers. 3(2): 95-99.
- Fields, W., and Siroky, K. (1994) Converting data into information. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 8(3): 1-11.
- Siroky, K., and Fields, W. (1992) Automated data entry and analysis for unit based quality assurance programs. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 7(1): 35-43.
- Posa, P., Yonkee, D., and Fields, W. (1992) Development and implications of an interdisciplinary quality assurance monitor on unplanned transfers into the intensive care units. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 6(2): 51-55.
- Fields, W. (1991) Mentoring in nursing: A historical perspective. Nursing Outlook. 39: 257-261.
- Fields, W., and Thomason, T. (1991) Description of indicator development for a percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty monitor. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 6(1): 6-19.
- Fields, W. (1988) Analysis of the concept mentor. International Journal of Mentoring. 2(2): 14-19.
- Fields, W. (1988) The PhD: The ultimate nursing doctorate?. Nursing Outlook. 36: 188-189.
- Fields, W., and Loveridge, C. (1988) Critical thinking and fatigue: How do nurses on 8 and 12 hour shifts compare?. Nursing Economic$. 6: 189-191.
- Fields, W. (1987) The mentor relationship. American Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2(1-3): 50-54.
- Fields, W., and McGinn-Campbell, K. Introduction to Health Assessment, Reston, Virginia: Reston, 1983.
- Berger, K., and Fields, W. Pocket Guide to Health Assessment, Reston, Virginia: Reston, 1980.