Transfer Students from Universities and Colleges External to SDSU
Students at another college or university who are seeking to continue their pre-licensure coursework at San Diego State University in pursuit of the BS degree in nursing are considered “Transfer Student Applicants”. External transfers will be limited by the space available in the nursing program. Students requesting transfer must have completed all of the nursing prerequisite courses. Preference will be given to those students demonstrating outstanding academic performance in prerequisite courses. Students admitted to the School of Nursing will begin sophomore year coursework. The nursing program will take three years to complete.
Admission Standards for Transfer Students
Admission to the School of Nursing is very competitive. Over the past four years, transfer applicants had an average cumulative GPA of 3.7, an average pre-requisite GPA of 3.7, and an average TEAS score of 84. Admission to the School of Nursing is for the fall semester only.
Students with the top GPAs and test scores will be ranked according to the Fall 2016 admission criteria (pdf). Students will be admitted according to rank and the number of positions available.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Score: 80% or above overall
- Cumulative GPA: Minimum of 3.2
- BIOL 261 – Human Physiology with Lab, 4 sem units (Minimum grade of B-)
- BIOL 212 – Human Anatomy with Lab, 4 sem units (Minimum grade of B-)
- BIOL 211/211L – Microbiology with Lab, 4 sem units (Minimum grade of B-)
- Chemistry (General, Organic, Inorganic, or Integrated with Lab) (Minimum grade of C)
- COMM 103/CCS111A/AFRAS 140 – Oral Communication (or any CSU GE Area A1) (Minimum grade of C)
- RWS 100/101 – Written Communication (or any CSU GE Area A2) (Minimum grade of C)
- RWS 200 – Critical Thinking (or any CSU GE Area A3) (Minimum grade of C)
- Statistics – STAT 119/STAT 250/PSY 280/SOC 201 (Minimum grade of C)
All 8 Nursing prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of Fall 2015 if applying for Fall 2016 admission. Nursing prerequisite courses may not be in progress in Spring 2016 if applying for Fall 2016 admission. Exceptions will not be granted under any circumstances. Transfer Students may apply for Fall admission only. If you have additional questions regarding the CSU Mentor application and/or the Supplemental Application, please contact the Office of Admissions
via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 619-594-6336.
New Application Process for Transfer Students
San Diego State University Enrollment Services and the School of Nursing have streamlined the application for admission to the University and the Nursing major. Under the new application process, students will be required to submit an application to the University via CSU Mentor (www.csumentor.edu) and complete SDSU’s Supplemental Application in January 2016. The School of Nursing no longer has a separate application process.The University will accept Fall 2016 admission applications from October 1, 2015 – November 30, 2015.
See SDSU’s Transfer Admission website for additional information: https://www.sdsu.edu/admissions.
For further information, please contact Mr. Jason Ramirez (firstname.lastname@example.org), Undergraduate Student Advisor for the School of Nursing.
last updated: November 03, 2015