RN to BSN applicants are those who have already completed an Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing program from another college. Admission to the School of Nursing is contingent upon admission to SDSU, and successfully completing the RN to BS in Nursing program admission criteria. A current California RN license is required for progression through clinical courses.
Note: The SDSU RN to BSN program is offered at both SDSU campuses – The San Diego campus and the Imperial Valley campus.
Admission Standards for RN to BSN Applicants
Admission to the School of Nursing is contingent upon admission to SDSU, as well as the following:
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Diploma from a regionally accredited school
- A Current California RN License – Required for progression through clinical courses.
- Cumulative GPA: Minimum of 3.2
- Completion of the Following Courses, or their equivalents, by the end of the Spring semester with the minimum grades shown:
- BIOL 212: Human Anatomy with Lab, 4 semester units, minimum grade of B-
- BIOL 261: Human Physiology with Lab, 4 semester units, minimum grade of B-
- BIOL 211/211L: Microbiology with Lab, 4 semester units, minimum grade of B-
- CHEMISTRY (General Chem or-Organic Chem -or-Integrated Chem or- Inorganic Chem), minimum grade of C
- Oral Communication (Any course that satisfies CSU GE Breadth Area A1)
- Written Communication (Any course that satisfies CSU GE Breadth Area A2)
- Critical Thinking (Any course that satisfies CSU GE Breadth Area A3)
- Statistics, 3 semester units, minimum grade of C
- General Education Requirements
(See SDSU General Catalog or consult the SDSU Prospective Student Center at 619-594-6336 for General Education Requirement information)
New Application Process
San Diego State University Enrollment Services and the School of Nursing have streamlined the application for admission to the University and the Nursing major. Under the new application process, students will be required to submit an application to the University via CSU Mentor (www.csumentor.edu) and complete SDSU’s Supplemental Application in January 2017. The School of Nursing no longer has a separate application process. The University will accept Fall 2017 admission applications from October 1, 2016 – November 30, 2016.
See SDSU’s Transfer Admission website for additional information: https://www.sdsu.edu/admissions.
Cross Enrollment Program
We recommend the Cross Enrollment program for students interested in the RN to BSN program who meet the minimum admission requirements, including a minimum GPA 3.2.
For more informations on the Cross Enrollment program please refer here: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/
Contact SDSU Registrar’s Office for details on Cross Enrollment http://arweb.sdsu.
- NUR 312: Nursing Professionalism (3 units – offered Fall 2016 Semester for Cross Enrollment)
Once admitted to the School of Nursing, students will be required to complete a background check and meet health compliance requirements, before attending clinical.
If you are an RN with a Bachelor’s degree in another field, you may be eligible for our Master’s degree program in the Leadership specialty. Please see our Graduate Program website at:
For further questions, please contact the School of Nursing Graduate Program Advisor at email@example.com
last updated: 09/26/2016