San Diego State University


Current and prospective graduate students should contact the School of Nursing Graduate Advisor, at 619-594-2766, or by email ( with any questions.

May I enroll in classes if I have missed the application deadline?

Qualified students who meet individual course prerequisites and standards for regular enrollment in the University may qualify to take some classes through Open University before being formally admitted to the University. Open University allows students to enroll in courses on a space available basis with the approval of the course instructor and the department chair. Not more than 12 units of combined coursework in Open University and special sessions completed prior to admission to an advanced degree program will be acceptable on a program of study. If you missed the application deadline, please contact the Graduate Advisor.

How Do I Schedule the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

All applicants are required to take the GRE prior to admission. For further information about this examination call the SDSU Test Office (619-594-5216). Exam scores are to be sent directly to SDSU from the Educational Testing Service. The institution number for SDSU is 4682. If the GRE was taken more than 5 years prior to application, an official copy of the GRE scores will be accepted. If you already have a Master’s or higher degree from an institution that is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools, you are not required to take the GRE.

When do classes start?

Please refer to the SDSU academic calendar.

When are classes scheduled?

The class schedule is published prior to the opening of each semester. See the registrar-maintained class schedule. Changes in the schedule will be posted on this site.

What are the graduate student fees/tuition?

Please see the Graduate Bulletin for current registration fees.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Information about financial aid programs may be obtained from the University Financial Aid Office located in Student Services, room 3605. The phone number is 619-594-6323.

Full-time students may apply for Federal Nurse Traineeship Grants. Applications will be available at the beginning of the semester. See the scholarships page on this site.

Will I be accepted into graduate school if my undergraduate GPA was less than 3.0?

Contact the Graduate Advisor to discuss your qualifications.

May I attend graduate school if I am a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in another discipline?

Registered Nurses with baccalaureate degrees in other disciplines will be evaluated on an individual basis and may be required to enroll in designated courses to complete upper division nursing deficiencies prior to graduate studies. Please contact the Graduate Advisor to discuss your individual situation.

May I attend graduate school if I am NOT a registered nurse but have a baccalaureate degree in another discipline?

At the present time we do not have a Master’s entry program for individuals who are not registered nurses. Students must have a registered nurse license as well as meet other admission criteria as stated in the Graduate Bulletin.

How many courses may I transfer from another university?

Up to 12 semester units may be accepted in transfer from an accredited School of Nursing. You will be asked to submit documentation (e.g., course syllabi) for transfer courses so that these courses may be evaluated for equivalency of content to the courses offered at SDSU.

However, any course completed more than seven years prior to the date on which all requirements for the degree are completed cannot be used to satisfy the unit requirements of the official program of study.

Is graduate student housing available?

On Campus Housing
Graduate student housing information may be obtained by calling 619-594-5742. Housing applications are accepted beginning each November 1st for the following fall semester and beginning September 1st for the following spring semester. More information may be found on the SDSU Housing and Residential Education site.

Off Campus Housing
The Housing and Residential Life Office maintains an Off-campus Housing page with current listings of off-campus rental units. Family housing is not available on campus, thus off-campus housing serves the needs of families and others.