Bachelor's of Science in Nursing - Direct Entry
CAL STATE APPLY APPLICATION DUE
Application Opens: October 1st
Deadline: November 30th
Admission and Requirements
Prospective First-Time Freshmen must apply to San Diego State University via Cal State Apply and select “Nursing (BS)” as their intended major at the time of application. If offered admission to SDSU, freshmen are admitted directly into the BSN program and will complete prerequisite courses during the first year of study. Nursing major courses typically begin sophomore year.
IMPORTANT! Students admitted to SDSU as undeclared, or as a major other than Nursing, will not be able to change their major to Nursing during their tenure at SDSU.
Admission to the School of Nursing’s BSN program is highly selective. Students are admitted to the School of Nursing according to rank and the number of positions available. Additional information about ranking and the admissions process for freshman can be accessed on the Office of Admissions website.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in A – G coursework
- Minimum grade of B in Intermediate Algebra, Biology, and Chemistry with lab courses. If AP or IB level courses were taken in these areas, applicants must have earned a minimum grade of B.
- Preference is given to applicants who have taken and earned strong grades in science and mathematics courses.
SDSU uses the Cal State Apply application through the Cal State Apply website. A nonrefundable filing fee must be paid at the time of application. If you cannot apply online, contact the Office of Admissions to make special arrangements to apply electronically with campus assistance. Additional application instructions can be accessed on the Office of Admissions website for Freshmen.
All admissions related questions (e.g., application dates and deadlines, admissions criteria including minimum grade requirements and college entrance exam scores, AP/IB credits, transcript information, ranking methodology) should be directed to the SDSU Prospective Student Center at [email protected].
ENTERING First-Year CURRICULUM
- CHEM 102 - General, Organic, & Biological Chemistry
- BIOL 211 + 211L - Fundamentals of Microbiology (lecture + lab)
- BIOL 212 - Human Anatomy
- BIOL 261 - Human Phy
- NURS 202 - Client Assessment
- NURS 206 - Fundamentals of Nursing Practice
- NURS 208 - Pathophysiology
- NURS 219 - Information Management for Professional Relationships
- NURS 221 - Professional Formation A
- NURS 300 - Nursing Care of the Acute and Chronically Ill Adult and Gerontologic Patient I
- NURS 304 - Clinical Pharmacology in Nursing Practice
- NURS 307 - Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 316 - Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
- NURS 321 - Professional Formation B
- NURS 354 - Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family
- NURS 356 - Pediatric Nursing
- NURS 400 + 400L - Nursing Care of the Acute and Chronically Ill Adult and Gerontologic Patient II (lecture and lab)
- NURS 415 + 415L - Community Health Nursing (lecture and lab)
- NURS 421 - Professional Formation C
Specific details can be found on the CHHS Undergraduate International Experience web site.
SDSU School of Nursing
San Diego, CA 92182-4158